Monday 5 October 2015

Bastrop 10/3 - Good but expensive day

Headed out to Bastrop yesterday afternoon and fished from 3:30-8pm. North wind but not too bad. Wind calmed as the sun went down. Fished mainly on the discharge side near the reeds - water temp was between 89-92. Fishing really turned on around 6:30 and they were still hitting when we left at 8. I threw a shallow shad crank (0-3 feet), rattlesnakes weightless and senkos. They didn’t really care. Did not see or look for much schooling action in open water. Ended up with 30+ I would say.

I made it home but as I was backing in to the driveway I noticed one of the trailer wheels making some noise. It was hot as sh!t and I immediately knew something was wrong - it was also missing the outside cap which I knew was not good and I hadn’t noticed it missing before. I’m really surprised the wheel didn’t come off and go flying down the road. This is my fault - this is a used boat and trailer that I’ve had since January and I’ve been meaning to re-pack the bearings but this will be a costly lesson in waiting too long. The outside bearing basically disintegrated and it cut a groove into the spindle as well as wearing the last washer onto the spindle so as to I can not remove it now.

To move forward, everything I’ve been reading is pointing to having to replace the axle as you can not simply replace the spindle. Replacing the axle will involve welding. Looks like a bunch of ABFer’s in the past have used Spillar Hitches on S. Congress and would recommend taking the trailer to them. Am I correct that this is a weld job and that I can’t salvage/replace the spindle without replacing the axle as well? I have a tandem trailer and I’ve read it is ok to ride on 3 tires but make sure to chain or strap the exposed axle up so as not to have it make any contact with the road - any opinions on that? I’m going to give Spillar Hitches a call tomorrow and hopefully Gary can input his 2 cents but does anybody have a rough estimate on cost or any other suggested actions to take?

Attachment 18628
Attachment 18627


from how to catch bass http://ift.tt/1PZOPQ8 via this contact form
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1L0Yzq3

No comments:

Post a Comment