Tuesday 25 August 2015

Bastrop 08-23 Evening

My wife and I went out last night to avenge my rather poor performance the previous week during The Fish Fry That Wasn’t. We fished out of the Northshore ramp putting in our yaks at 7:00pm, about the time most people were leaving. The wind was out of the south around 5-10 mph, brisk enough to keep the mosquitos at bay. The lake still looks like its a foot to two feet low. Consequently, most of my favorite spots didn’t produce.

We started out throwing GB rattlesnakes, but that wasn’t working. I switched over to dropshot Roboworms, tiny flukes, and crappie jigs to better emulate the size and shape of the baitfish the schoolies were known to target, but no joy. That was a surprise, since even when it’s slow, I can usually at least pick up a couple or so on the dropshot. Not last night, though. After an hour and a half of absolutely no bites, I decided to try a spot I’d never really focused on that much. My wife anchored up in about six feet of water and I went deeper, around fifteen feet. I went back to the t-rigged GB rattlesnakes since dropshotting in eel grass is an exercise in futility. My wife was throwing a t-rigged GY senko. She said something about bass surface feeding behind her, but I dismissed that as carp. Then she said she was getting bit. Weeds, I thought. Then her rod twitched enough to see she had been bit. Eh, what’s one hit? I ignored her until she started chortling to herself as she landed her first bass, a fat 15.5" fish. Blind luck. Then, she immediately caught another. Okay, enough. Honey….? What bait are you using?

I re-anchored in six feet of water, re-rigged with GY senkos, and it was on for me, too. The sun had set by this point and it was really pleasant. The lake was empty, and except for the coyotes and the buzzards, we had the place to ourselves. Over the next hour, we caught a half-dozen bass each, 4 unders, the rest slots. The slots werent monsters, but its fun to catch healthy, 17-18" Bastrop fatties on medium action gear. Usually, one of us has a much better night than the other, but this time, we matched each other bass for bass. We even had a double at one point. The bite died around 10:00pm, so we headed back to the ramp. The area close to the ramp usually yields at least one good fish, and it happened last night, too. Ana had a nice one splashing around, but she hadn’t set the hook well enough since she was drift fishing and her big fish of the night jumped off. I thought we’d end the night in a 6-all tie, but I caught a buzzer-beater to win. Well, kinda. The bass was the biggest of the evening, a 19-inch zombie bass that I wasn’t sure I’d even hooked until he listlessly popped to the surface. Seriously, this bass reminded me of Dave Chappelle’s Tyrone the Crackhead character. I think he was hanging at the edge of the ramp waiting for discarded senkos to wash down so he could fuel his senko addiction when he inhaled mine, instead. But, big bass is big bass, at least that’s how we play the game CPR-style. The Hawg Trough doesnt lie.

My best five went 87", which isn’t horrible for 3.5 hours of fishing. It certainly wasnt one of those, nonstop, crazy hundred-plus bass nights I’ve had in the past, but it made up for a disappointing previous outing on Bastrop. I found a new spot, renewed my faith in my night-fishing mojo, and had the chance to catch and release Tyrone. A nice night, and a great way to bid adieu to summer - back to school, suckas!

-SSJr


from how to catch bass http://ift.tt/1LzOCos via how to catch bass
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1JuSQqO

No comments:

Post a Comment